Direct: (504) 380-0291
David A. Strauss is a founding member of Strauss Massey Dinneen llc and the manager of the firm. He is a seasoned advisor and trial attorney, representing insurers and businesses in complex and novel disputes. In-house counsel calls on David when the unusual lands on their desk and they sleep soundly because of it.
David partners with the nation’s largest insurance companies at the enterprise level to aggressively defend extra-contractual (bad faith) claims, manage coverage disputes, confront insurance fraud and handle catastrophic injury cases.
David has managed mass litigation/class actions and overseen thousands of bad faith and coverage disputes in challenging environments. He is presently translating his experience to affirmative litigation projects for insurers, investigating questionable practices by medical providers and body shops.
When Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast, mass litigation threatened to bog down Louisiana courts and business at insurance companies; David led a group of lawyers from various firms to create the operating framework to resolve these cases, each of which had its own distinct issues. His settlement concept has been adopted as a model by insurers facing massive claims following catastrophes. David was also on the front lines of mass bad faith litigation related to Hurricanes Gustav, Ike, and Isaac. Currently, he is acting as lead counsel for insurance carriers in mass litigation arising out of Hurricanes Laura/Delta and Ida; he serves on the Defense Steering Committee for the federal court litigation in the Western District of Louisiana. Because of his background, he is often consulted on strategies for challenging experts such as engineers, public adjusters, and contractors during catastrophe litigation.
David provides in-house counseling to SMD’s clients on claims handling practices and is a frequent speaker on the topic.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
- Presenter – “Legislative Impacts on Claims Handling and Bad Faith;” DRI Insurance Coverage and Claims Institute, March 2022, Houston
- Presenter – “Managing Mass Bad Faith Litigation Following a Catastrophe” – National Retained Counsel Conference for large Insurer, December 2021
- Claims Handling Best Practices and Bad Faith Avoidance Strategies – clients’ internal national and regional claims conferences; 2010 – present
- Handling and Defending S.I.U. Claims – regular presentations to clients’ claims teams; 2010 – present
- “Louisiana Insurance Penalties: Recent Developments;” New Orleans Bar Association CLE Program; 2017, 2018
- “Insurance Bad Faith – Trends, Strategies and Rulings” – New Orleans Bar Association CLE Program; 2013- 2016
- Conference Co-Chair and Presenter – American Conference Institute’s Extra-Contractual & Bad Faith Liability Conference; November 2016, Philadelphia
- Conference Co-Chair and Presenter – American Conference Institute’s Extra-Contractual & Bad Faith Liability Conference; June 2016, New York
- Presenter – “Avoiding Bad Faith Claims; Claims Management Best Practices” – American Conference Institute’s National Forum on Bad Faith Claims and Litigation; 2015, Miami
- Presenter – ACI Bad Faith Forum; 2013 & 2104 Philadelphia
- Publication: Louisiana Claims Handling – CLM; 2013
Recognition and Honors
- The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2014-2022
- AV® Preeminent Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Louisiana Super Lawyers, 2016-2019
- New Orleans City Business “Leadership in Law” List, 2012
Professional and Community Affiliations
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI), Insurance and Commercial Litigation
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- New Orleans Bar Association- Insurance Law Committee Chair, 2013-2017
- Coach and team sponsor – Carrollton Boosters Youth Soccer, 2012 – present
- Krewe of Hermes, Member; 2004 to present.
- Vet Launch, Board of Directors; 2014-2017.
- Tulane University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- University of Illinois, B.A. with honors, History, 1992
Bar and Court Admissions
- Illinois Bar, 1995
- Louisiana Bar, 1996
- Texas Bar, 2003